- Chief adviser to the China Banking Regulatory Commission and board member of the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority and Sime Darby Berhad, Malaysia
- Adjunct professor at the Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, and the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
- Chairman of the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong from 1 October 1998 to 30 September 2005
- 1989–1993, senior manager, Financial Sector Development Department at the World Bank
- Chaired Financial Stability Forum’s Task Force on Implementation of Standards in 1999 and from October 2003 to September 2005; Chairman of Technical Committee of IOSCO.